The NHMRC Drinking Guidelines 2021: It is important to note these are just ‘guidelines’, not recommendations.
However, the growing evidence around both short- and long-term harms of alcohol consumption warrant a more robust set of warnings for consumers to better inform and create appropriate awareness of the real and growing harms.
You will note that alcohol should not be consumed by
- those under the age of 18 or (Growing evidence suggests 21 should be Minimum Legal Drinking Age)
- women pregnant or trying to become so.
But also, it is important to emphasise that you should also not consume alcohol if,
- you want to lower your risk of cancer.
- you want tor reduce intimate partner violence
- you want reduce violence against children and family
- you want to reduce other harms including, injuries, loss of productivity, accidents and other growing costs
Further recommended resources,