- We estimate that >2 million U.S. adults who have reported ever using marijuana have cardiovascular disease.
- Observational studies have suggested an association between marijuana use and a range of cardiovascular risks.
- Marijuana is becoming increasingly potent, and smoking marijuana carries many of the same cardiovascular health hazards as smoking tobacco.
- Few randomized clinical trials have been conducted or are planned to explore the effects of marijuana on cardiovascular risk.
- Screening and testing for use of marijuana are encouraged in clinical settings, especially in the care of young patients presenting with cardiovascular disease